Things to Know About Sensational Singer and Drummer Sheila E
Let’s face it, when we hear the name Sheila E., we automatically think of her association with Prince. However, Sheila E. has earned fame in her own right. She is a singer, drummer, and percussionist who has worked with several other notable artists, including Billy Cobham, Lionel Richie, George Duke, and many more.
Check out these other mind blowing facts about Sheila E.
1. Sheila E. was born Sheila Escovedo on December 12, 1957, in Oakland, California, to Juanita Gardere, a dairy factory worker, and percussionist Pete Escovedo. Her mother is Creole and African American, and her father is of Mexican descent.
2. Sheila E. made her recording debut with jazz bassist Alphonso Johnson on “Yesterday’s Dream” in 1976.
3. By her 20s, Sheila E. was already playing with some of the greatest musicians to ever take stage.
4. Sheila E. met Prince at a concert in 1978, when she was performing with her father. After the show, he met her and told her that he and his bassist “were just fighting about which one of us would be the first to be your husband.” He also vowed to her that one day she would join his band.
5. She joined forces with Prince during the Purple Rain recording sessions. She provided vocals on the B-side to “Let’s Go Crazy,” and “Erotic City” in 1984.
6. Sheila E. has also appeared in several films, including Krush Groove with Run-D.M.C., LL Cool J and Blair Underwood in 1985, and Prince’s concert film, Sign “O” the Times, in 1987.
7. After leaving the Prince organization in 1989, Sheila E. recorded a few more albums, Sex Cymbal, featuring the hit “Sex Cymbal”, “Dropping Like Flies,” and “Heaven.” During this time, Sheila E. developed severe health issues that prevented her from touring in order to promote her albums.
8. Sheila E. has notably collaborated with Gloria Estefan, for whom she played the timbales.
9. In 2009, she won the CMT reality show, Gone Country.
10. In 2016, Sheila E. provided drums for Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL’s orchestral soundtrack to the blockbuster superhero film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.